If you have a skateboard and you ride it regardless of the weather and the surface outside, you should know that cleaning your bearings is necessary. In this article, I will show you four of what I consider the best skateboard bearing lubricants out there.
What is a skateboard bearing lube and why do you need one?
A skateboard lube is a substance you should use whenever you feel that your bearings are dry or loud. If you notice that your skateboard is slower and making funny sounds, you should probably clean your bearings, ideally using a bearing lubricant for skateboards.
What can you use to lubricate skateboard bearings?
You can either use grease or oil. The only difference is in viscosity. Grease is thicker, it lasts longer but also makes your bearings a bit slower. Oil is thinner and makes your bearings ride full-speed, but it lasts shorter.
Some general-purpose greases and oils can be used for skateboard bearings, white lithium grease works great, for example. To be sure, we always suggest cleaning your bearings with grease or lubricant made specifically for skateboards.
In case you can’t wait to ride again, make sure to do some research before applying any general-purpose oil or grease lying around in your garage.
Can you use motor oil for skateboard bearings?
Motor oils are extremely thick and we do not recommend using them to clean your bearings. Motor oils are likely to cause rust and attract dirt.
Is it OK to use WD40 on skateboard bearings?
No. WD40 is made to displace water (WD stands for “Water Displacement”), remove rust, and lubricate squeaky things. If you apply WD40 to your bearings, it will collect dirt and eventually cause them to freeze.
How to choose a good lubricant?
You should pay attention to three things:
- Thickness or viscosity – the thicker the oil, the longer it will last, but these are generally also making your bearings slower. The lubes made specifically for skateboards have a medium viscosity, which makes them perfect both for cleaning your bearings and making them smooth for more speed.
- Made specifically for skateboards/longboards – you can theoretically use machinery grease and any other oil-based lubricant, but because they are made for different things, you can expect them to slow down your bearings or not clean them at all. Always go for lubes made specifically for skateboards.
- Brand and price – going for brands that you are familiar with is always a good idea, my advice is to look for brands that make other skateboard or longboard-related products.
Top 4 Best Lubricants for Skateboard Bearings
1. Bones Speed Cream Skate Bearing Lubricant
If you’ve been into skateboarding for a while, you are probably familiar with Bones. This company makes great products for skateboards, such as bearings, wheels, and even tools. Since they are producing bearings, they know what a good bearing oil should be like. I’ve been personally using their lube for some time now and can say that it’s probably the best out there.
This lubricant is made using a special chemical formula that makes them low in viscosity and good for speed. Because the oil is not thick, it allows your bearings to roll faster without wearing them off.
- Great for speed
- Low in viscosity
- Recognized brand
- Lasts less than thicker lubes
2. Liberty Synthetic Oil for Lubricating Skate Board
Liberty Oil is another lubricant producer that has many good reviews and that I’ve used myself. It consists of 100% synthetic oil and comes in a 4 oz bottle with a stainless steel tip that is really easy to use. Even though it’s not specifically made for use on skateboard bearings, it does a great job with cleaning and smoothing them.
Liberty Oil Products is a company specialized in producing lubricating oils, which means that they have to be good at what they do to make a profit. The good reviews speak for themselves.
- Protects, cleans, and lubricates wheel bearings
- The big 4oz bottle will last for a long time
- Has an applicator which makes it easy to use
- Is not made specifically for skateboard bearingss
3. Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant
Tri-flow is a popular lubricant that many of my friends use for all kinds of stuff that needs lubricating. It works well for lubricating skateboard bearings too. It comes in a 2oz Drip bottle and includes a straw-like tube for hard-to-reach areas.
It is specifically made for decreasing friction and wear on parts and cleans them.
- Many positive reviews and 5 stars on Amazon
- Medium viscosity which will keep your bearings clean and smooth
- Is not made specifically for skateboard bearings
4. Bronson Speed Co High-Speed Ceramic Oil
The name speaks for itself, doesn’t it? This is one of the best lubricant for bearings out there because it is made by a company that produces skateboard bearings. It comes in a drip bottle and is easy to apply. It has medium viscosity which is great for keeping your bearings clean and smooth.
This lubricant is made specifically for bearing lubrication, so be sure to check it out and try it on your skateboard. The good reviews are also proving the point.
- Made specifically for bearings
- Great for speed
- Made by a skateboard bearings manufacturer
- Comes in a small bottle
Make sure to lubricate your bearings as soon as they start making noises and not spin as expected. I recommend cleaning all the parts at least once a month. Remember that riding with dirty bearings may permanently damage them so it’s better to put in some time and clean them properly every now and then.
For cleaning the bearings, you will definitely find a lubricant that will suit you, although all of the products above are great choices, the Bones speed cream lubricant is the best for skateboard bearings and we’d recommend it first.
Hope you found this article useful, let us know in the comments down below if you’ve had the chance to try any of these products.