If you have a skateboard and you ride it regardless of the weather and the surface outside, you should know that cleaning your bearings is necessary. In this article, I will show you four of what I consider the best skateboard bearing lubricants out there.
What is a skateboard bearing lube and why do you need one?
A skateboard lube is a substance you should use whenever you feel that your bearings are dry or loud. It cleans your bearings and makes them run smoothly. Sometimes it is referred to as “bearing oil” or “grease”, it is the same thing.
How to choose a good lubricant?
You should pay attention to three things:
• Thickness or viscosity – the thicker the oil, the longer it will last, but these are generally also making your bearings slower. The lubes made specifically for skateboards have a medium viscosity, which makes them perfect both for cleaning your bearings and making them smooth for more speed.
• Made specifically for skateboards/longboards – you can theoretically use machinery grease and any other oil-based lubricant, but because they are made for different things, you can expect them to slow down your bearings or not clean them at all. Always go for lubes made specifically for skateboards.
• Brand and price – going for brands that you are familiar with is always a good idea, my advice is to look for brands that make other skateboard or longboard-related products.
Top 4 Best Lubricants for Skateboard Bearings
1. Bones Speed Cream Skate Bearing Lubricant
If you’ve been into skateboarding for a while, you are probably familiar with Bones. This company makes great products for skateboards, such as bearings, wheels, and even tools. Since they are producing bearings, they know what a good bearing oil should be like. I’ve been personally using their lube for some time now and can say that it’s probably the best out there.
This lubricant is made using a special chemical formula that makes them low in viscosity and good for speed. Because the oil is not thick, it allows your bearings to roll faster without wearing them off.
• Great for speed
• Low in viscosity
• Perfect for cleaning
- Because it’s light, it will last for less than thicker lubes
2. Liberty Synthetic Oil for Lubricating Skate Board
Liberty Oil is another lubricant producer that has many good reviews and that I’ve used myself. It consists of 100% synthetic oil and comes in a 4 oz bottle with a stainless steel tip that is really easy to use. Even though it’s not specifically made for use on skateboard bearings, it does a great job with cleaning and smoothing them.
Liberty Oil Products is a company specialized in producing lubricating oils, which means that they have to be good at what they do to make a profit. The good reviews speak for themselves.
- Protects, cleans and lubricates wheel bearings
- The big 4oz bottle will last for a long time
- Has an applicator which makes it easy to use
- Is not made specifically for skateboard bearings
3. Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant
Tri-flow is a popular lubricant that many of my friends use for all kind of stuff that needs lubricating. It works well for lubricating skateboard bearings too. It comes in a 2oz Drip bottle and includes a straw-like tube for hard-to-reach areas.
It is specifically made for decreasing friction and wear on parts and cleans them.
- Many positive reviews and 5 stars on Amazon
- Medium viscosity which will keep your bearings clean and smooth
- Is not specifically made for skateboard bearings
4. Bronson Speed Co High-Speed Ceramic Oil
The name speaks for itself, doesn’t it? This skateboard bearing lubricant is one of the best out there because it is made by a company that produces skateboard bearings. It comes in a drip bottle and is easy to apply. It has medium viscosity which is great for keeping your bearings clean and smooth.
This lubricant is made specifically for bearing lubrication, so be sure to check it out and try it on your skateboard. The good reviews are also proving the point.
- Made specifically for bearings
- Great for speed
- Made by a skateboard bearings manufacturer
- Comes in a small bottle
Make sure to lubricate your bearings as soon as they start making noises and not spin as expected. I recommend cleaning all the parts at least once a month. Remember that riding with dirty bearings may permanently damage them so it’s better to put in some time and clean them properly every now and then.
For cleaning the bearings, you will definitely find a lubricant that will suit you, although all of the products above are great choices, the Bones lube is the best for skateboard bearings and I’d recommend it first.
Hope you found this article useful, let us know in the comments down below if you’ve had the chance to try any of these products.